Friday, June 4, 2010

Mathtype in Word 2010

I'm starting to get acquainted with Office 2010 and like it so far but just as with the upgrade from 2003 to 2007, Mathtype doesn't work again! It doesn't show up in the ribbon and doesn't have permission to run macros.

Step 1: Integrating Mathtype with the ribbon

check out this link for a nice starting spot. It talks about integrating with Powerpoint and Word, but inevitably did not work with my install. He says to integrate with Word

Copy

\MathPage\MathPage.wll
\MathPage\MathType Commands 6 For Word.dotm
to
\Office14\STARTUP\

except my install directory didn't contain the .dotm file!
Instead download this file and save it to the STARTUP folder.


Step 2: Enabling Macros so Mathtype actually works

Now the ribbon will contain Mathtype too but it will be disabled by default. So I followed this link to enable macros.
It's a little different in 2010

File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings


I selected "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros." Then restart Word and click the Enable Macros button in the
warning box

I'm sure Mathtype will fix this in later versions...and I'm sure they'll make us pay for it too. For now, this works fine!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip, but no matter what I did, MathType wouldn't show up in the ribbon. I can open MT by double-clicking on an existing MT equation from an existing document, but not from the ribbon. Drats!

Brian Triplett said...

You can remove the warning by adding the STARTUP folder to you list of "Trusted Locations" under File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Locations

Just add \STARTUP to the list and you should be warning free.

Cal said...

Thanks for this. Man, this issue was driving me up the wall.